- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in warm water then add salt and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes covered with a towel.
- Add flour and oil to liquid mixture. Mix and put on floured bread board and knead until mixture is smooth.
- Put dough in a greased bowl, cover with towel and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from bowl and put on bread board, knead in the 1/2 cornmeal.
- Make dough into 2 balls rolling each into 12 inch circles 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 2 inch squares and drop into hot cooking oil. (Works best with cast iron skillet.)
- Fry 5 to 6 pieces at a time for only a few moments.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with white powdered sugar.