- 2 lbs. broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1-1 1/4 c. celery, chopped
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. minced garlic or garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 c. water
- 40 oz. chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 1/2 T. butter
- 3 c. half and half or milk
- 2 T. flour or cornstarch
- In a 6 qt. kettle combine the first 10 ingredients. bring to a boil until broccoli is tender.
- With a slotted spoon, put the broccoli in a blender with some broth. Continue until you have blended about 3/4 of the broccoli.
- Put blended back in the pot with the unblended. In another pot melt the butter.
- Dissolve the flour with some water; add it to the butter until smooth.
- Add the half and half; stir and mix on low heat.
- Add white cream mixture into the broccoli broth on medium heat until itis well-blended and to your thickness. Stir often so it will not burn.
Recipe courtesy Gilda Santor.