- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T. Baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp.
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. buttermilk, room temp.
- 2 t. vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 1/3 c. peanut butter
- 1 c. unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
- Coarse salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line pans with silpats.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat well until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients; mix until combined.
- Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Make filling: Beat peanut butter and butter on high speed until smooth. Reduce the speed to low. Add confectioner's sugar; mix until combined. Raise speed to high, and mix until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, if desired.
- Assemble cookies: 1 or 2 tablespoons of filling on one Whoopie pie and place other side on top.
- Cookies can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe courtesy: Gretchen LeFever