- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 5 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Brush flesh with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place squash, cut sides up, on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 50 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven and let sit at room temperature until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes. Scrape flesh with a fork to make long squash strands; set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and shallot, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until softened and lightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add reserved squash, toss with tongs to coat thoroughly, and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese a handful at a time while tossing squash to evenly coat. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and extra cheese.