- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 t. chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 6 c. peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 c. water
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. half & half (optional)
- 1/2 t. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4-6 minutes. add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in peas. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 minute.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half & half (if using), salt and pepper.