February Holidays + Entertaining Ideas
There are lots of fun idea to get your creative juices going in order to reach out to and have fun with people this month!!
MONTH LONG OBSERVANCES IN FEBRUARY
American Heart Month
American History Month
Black History Month
International Friendship Month
National Cherry Month
National Embroidery Month
National Grapefruit Month
National Snack Food Month
National Wild Bird Feeding Month
Responsible Pet Owners’ Month
Creative Romance Month
Great American Pie Month
Canned Food Month
National Children's Dental Health Month
National Chocolate Lover’s Month
National Potato Lover’s Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Super Market Month
DAILY OBSERVANCES IN FEBRUARY
National Freedom Day
National Dark Chocolate Day
National Baked Alaska Day
National Tater Tot Day
Elmo’s Birthday (Sesame Street Character)
National Carrot Day
Super Bowl XLVII
Rosa Parks and Charles Lindbergh’s Birthday
Thank a Mailman Day
National Homemade Soup Day
Hank Aaron’s Birthday
World Nutella Day
Babe Ruth’s Birthday
Monopoly Game goes on sale in stores
National Chopsticks Day
Send a card to a Friend Day
Charles Dickens & Laura Ingalls Wilder Birthday
National Fettuccine Alfredo Day
Boy Scouts’ Day
National Potato Lover's Day
Hershey’s Chocolate Founded
National Lox and Bagels Day
National Have a Brownie Day
Chinese New Year
National Inventor’s Day
White T-Shirt Day
Make A Friend Day
National Peppermint Patty Day
Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday
National PB&J Day
National "Eat Italian Food" Day
Saint Valentine’s Day
National Organ Donor Day
National Cream-Filled Chocolate Day
National Flag Day in Canada
Single's Awareness Day
National Chewing Gum Day
National Almond Day
Random Acts of Kindness Day
National "Indian Pudding" Day
Family Day in Canada
Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood debuted
National Chocolate Mint Day
John Glenn orbits the earth in 1962
Family Day in Canada
National "Biscuits & Gravy" Day
George Washington’s Birthday
Walking the Dog Day
Be Humble Day
National "Cook A Sweet Potato" Day
National "Cherry Pie" Day
Banana Bread Day
Purim begins at sundown
National Tortilla Chip Day
Flag Day in Mexico
National "Trading Card" Day
Chinese Lantern Festival
Levi Strauss’ Birthday (wear jeans)
Tell a Fairy Tale Day
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Birthday in 1807
Polar Bear Day
National "Chocolate Cake" Day
National "Chocolate Souffle" Day
Entertaining Ideas For February
- You will need red, white, or pink ribbon, metal wire, and beads. Shape a piece of metal into a heart. Tie the ribbon on. String the beads in a pattern of your choice.
- Cut out red, pink, and white hearts of different sizes. Tape, hang, and place them all over the house. Put notes on them like you find on candy hearts – Be Mine; U R Sweet; I Love You; U R 4 Me; I M 4 U; etc…
- “Famous Couples Match Game” – Put the names of famous couples on a sheet of paper. Put the men’s names on one side and the women’s names on the other, but mix them up. Have a time limit. The person with the most right answers wins.
- Get a large or life-sized picture of someone. Make lips for each player. Put 2-sided tape on the back of the lips. Blindfold each player and play pin the lips on the picture. The person who gets closest to the lips wins.
- Play “Name That Tune” using romantic love songs.
- Break into groups. Have each group make up a love song to tunes most everyone knows. It does not have to be a serious song. Each group performs their song. You can vote to see whose song was best.
- Break into teams. Pitch heart-shaped candy into a bowl from a designated spot. The team or person with the most in the bowl wins.
- Play musical chairs to love songs.
- Make or buy a Cupid’s bow and arrow. Make a heart-shaped bull’s eye. See who gets the arrow closest to the center of the heart.
- Have people dress like famous couples.
- Make berry punch with vanilla ice cream. (Cranberry juice, 7-up, and vanilla ice cream.
- Make strawberry &/or raspberry smoothies
- Of course, red is the color for the day. Make red foods. There are so many to choose from. You can serve tomato sauce, salsa, tomato salad, beets, fresh or frozen strawberries and raspberries, watermelon, red velvet cake, red Jell-O, pomegranates, red potatoes, red apples….red food coloring can make what you like red.
- Make things in a heart shape – for example: cake, muffins, bread, meatloaf, eggs, potatoes, cookies, etc….
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Since February is African-American history month, have a Soul Party! Celebrate the black culture. Serve soul food. (Look for recipes in our recipe section)
A group of us got together a number of years ago and had a Soul Party. It was so much fun – we all laughed most of the night! Our African-American brothers and sisters brought the soul food. People from the other races were our entertainment for the night. Someone dressed up like Don Cornelius to be the moderator. The Supremes, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Aretha Franklin, and M.C. Hammer with dancers performed. Each performer lip synched to the music and did all of the “moves.”
- Decorate with pictures of famous African-Americans.
- Set up entertainment like we did.
- The best music is that of the 70’s and 80’s.
- Have a contest to see who can really sing and sound like some famous African-American singer.
- Play a trivia game concerning famous African-Americans. Click to see sample.
- You could have a contest to pick who makes the best sweet potato pie, macaroni and cheese, peach cobbler, or greens.
- You must have card tables. Soul Parties love to play cards, dominoes, and the badminton board game. The most preferred card game is SPADES.
- Pool is a favorite of some.
- Good food, good music, people dancing, and you got yourself a world class Soul Party!