Each and every person has a destiny God has planned for them. Jeremiah 29:11 clearly states
For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. NIV
Thoughts bombard us that shout we have no hope and no future. “God couldn’t possibly use me to do anything for him. What about my past?...”
There are five women in the bible that had no idea what God had planned for them. In spite of their past, they were the only women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus. They were Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary. Let’s take a quick look at the history of these women.
- Tamar Was The Daughter-In-Law Of Judah.
- Tamar Was Barren.
- Tamar’s Two Husbands (Judah’s Sons) Died.
- Tamar Posed As A Prostitute.
- Tamar Was Deceitful.
- Tamar Had Sex With Her Father-In-Law.
- Tamar’s Son Who Was Conceived From This Act Is In The Lineage Of Jesus.
You Can Find The Account In Genesis 28:1-36.
- Rahab Was A Harlot.
- The Flax Represents That She’d Turned Her Life Around. Flax Was Used To Make Linen.
- Faith Came To Her By Hearing. Instead Of Walking In Fear Of The Israelites, She Put Faith In God.
- She Was Courageous. Her And Her Family’s Life Were In Jeopardy Because Of The Spies. If She Got Caught It Would Mean Death To All Of Them. Although They Gave Her Their Word, There Was No Guarantee That They Would Respect The Oath They Made To Her.
- The Scarlet Cord Represented The Blood Of Jesus. The Blood Of Jesus Saves Us From Utter Destruction.
- Rahab Is In Hebrews 11, The Chapter Many Call The Faith Hall Of Fame.
- Rahab’s Faith Was Displayed By Her Works.
You can find these accounts in Joshua 2:1-21, Joshua 6:17,22-23, Hebrews 11:31, and James 2:24-26.
- Ruth Was A Moabitess.
- The Moabites Came Out Of The Incestual Relationship That Lot Had With His Daughters After They Fled Sodom.
- They Were Gross Idolaters, Worshipping Chemosh And Baalpeor With Obscene Rites.
- The Moabites Offered Children As A Sacrifice To Their God.
- Chemosh Was The God Of The Moabites. He Is Synonymous With Sorcery, Adultery, Incest, Prostitution, And The Sacrifice Of Children In The Fire.
- Ruth Married An Israelite And Became A Widow.
- Ruth Came To Know The Lord. Ruth Was Willing To Give Up Everything That Was Familiar To Her In Order To Serve God.
- Ruth Honored Her Mother-In-Law.
- Ruth Was A Servant.
- Ruth Walked In Integrity.
- Ruth Was Selfless.
- Ruth Was Submitted, Willing And Obedient.
To read the account of Ruth, go to the book of Ruth.
Facts about Moabite religious rituals http://www.truthinlove.com/casting_out_demons/Sexual/Sins/child_molestation.htm
- Perhaps Bathsheba Was Raped By David, Perhaps She Consented
- Bathsheba Loved Her Husband, Uriah Because She
Mourned For Him.
- Bathsheba Conceived A Child Out Of Wedlock. The
Child Died. There Is No Evidence That She Was Bitter Toward David
- Bathsheba Respected The King.
- Solomon Wrote About Bathsheba, His Mother, In
To learn more about Bathsheba go to 2 Samuel 11:1-5, 2 Samuel 11:26-27,
1 Kings 1:16, 31 and Proverbs 31.
- Mary Was A Teenager.
- Mary Knew The Torah Or Would Not Have Anticipated A Savior.
- Mary Believed The Word.
- Mary Asked A Question, But Was Not Questioning.
- Mary Was A Submitted Woman.
- Mary Meditated.
To learn more about Mary go to Luke 1:26-35, Luke 1: 46-55, Luke 2:51
I hope you can see by these ladies’ lives that God doesn’t look at our circumstances, who we’ve been, what we’ve done, how old we are, etcetera. God has a plan for all of us. As we trust in him, we will walk in his plan.